Château Grand-Puy Ducasse’s story began when Arnaud Ducasse bought a « modest » house on the banks of the river in Pauillac in 1675. Little did he know that it would become a large estate that would remain in his family for almost three centuries. Pierre Ducasse, a lawyer with a passion for wine, considerably extended the land over three parishes – Pauillac, Saint-Lambert and Saint-Sauveur – and three seigneuries: Lafite, Latour and Beychevelle. In 1820, his son built the Château’s winery facing the Gironde estuary. At the time, this was a daring decision: Grand-Puy Ducasse would be the only Château to vinify its grapes in this location for 200 years. In 1855, the estate was included in the prestigious 1855 Grands Crus Classés classification of the Médoc growths. With 40 hectares of vines spread over 11 different types of soil, its vineyard can be considered the most representative of the diversity of Pauillac’s terroirs.